Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ryan Recommends -- More than just classical

Though not as eclectic of some of my colleagues,' my musical influences don't come entirely from the world of classical music. I've been told that I'm "so unhip" with regards to current pop music. I don't disagree. But there are some key pieces of pop music, or pop artists, that have played a big role in shaping my musicality.

I grew up with the music of Chicago -- or at least the music of Chicago recorded on their greatest hits of the 80s album (cassette tape, at the time). I love these songs.
I'm particularly in love with Will You Still Love Me. It combines so many fabulous elements. Bright 80s male pop vocals, bright electric piano, warm synth pads, Db major, guitar overdrive, three- and four-part choral writing, horn licks, strings, good harmony full of frequent secondary dominants, inventive percussion and general textural interest, Handel/Vivaldi bit near the end (4:10) and high horn at the very end. So complex but so direct. I'm no aficionado, but a part of me can't help but say "they don't make music like this anymore."

No comments:

Post a Comment